[Xastir] Re: [ubuntulinux] Re: Screen Resolution problem

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:55:00 EDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Earl Needham <needhame1 at plateautel.net> wrote:

> Tell me where I can find VMWare and I may give it a go.  I
> really am only going through this to try Xastir for a while -- sure
> hope it's worth it!  <G>
>
>          7 3
>          Earl
>
>          P.S.  I downloaded Fedora last here at the motel -- 250K+
> download speeds...

You can download VMware server at the following link:

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

You do have to register at the site to get a serial number, but it is still
a free download.  It sounds like you are going with Fedora, so you have a
choice of either creating a dual boot system or installing Linux under
VMware in Windows (I base that on the other messages where it sounds like
you want to keep Windows on the laptop).  There are advantages and
disadvantages to either approach.  With VMware server, you can create your
own virtual machine and install your Linux distro of choice in that machine.

There are also some pre-built virtual machines available per the
HowTo:VMware in the Wiki, and if you go that route, you only need VMware
Player, which is available at http://www.vmware.com/download/player/, and
there is no registration if I remember right.

I think before giving VMware a whirl, I would install Fedora as part of a
dual boot system, which it sounds like you are on track to do, and if there
are any problems with Fedora detecting/using hardware, then you could fall
back to using VMware.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX