[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Aug 9 14:55:22 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:34 -0600, Steve Friis wrote:
> Brad Douglas wrote:
> > PS -
> > At this weekend's Linux Picnic[1], I'll be releasing some new maps to
> > the public.  I've created TOPOs with 500' contours and shaded relief
> > (and colored by elevation) pesudo-DEMs to go under the TOPOs to make
> > them highly visible.  The data is broken down by county and covers the
> > entire state of CA.  Data for NV is in production.
> >
> > I'll cc: the group with the final URL.
> >
> > [1] http://linuxpicnic.org
> >
> Any chance you will be doing these for other states or have already?
> Love to have NM.

I have enough base data for the entire country.  What I need is time.  I
haven't had a chance to automate the process as much as possible, yet.

I am also putting together a tutorial so that you can create your own if
you don't want to wait around for me.  NM is on my short list, though.

BTW, I tried loading up 30' contours into Xastir.  Bad idea. ;-)

I put a sample of the raster backdrop here (Alpine Co., CA):
http://picasaweb.google.com/jawayetti/GIS

Constructive comments welcome.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785