[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Aug 9 17:51:50 EDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:

> What is the limitation on this? Is it something that can't be coded
> in?
> Hard/complex? Just curious....

I suspect it's a limitation of the linestyles available in Xlib
without resorting to a) heavy coding, or b) adding yet another
support package requirement, but only the developer who made that
design decision knows for sure...

> I'm willing to play, but in the end I want the best looking maps
> possible
> that are easy to read etc.

"like google maps" is not the only solution to the problem "easy to
read".

My maps evolved for a while before I settled on what I currently use,
and if I saw someone else's that I like or if another data set became
available they'd likely change again.

I use National Atlas (www.nationalatlas.gov) shapefiles for zoom
levels > 128 and TIGER shapefiles <= 128.  The Nat'l Atlas maps look
like this with my configuration:

http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/xastir/box-snapshot.png

light green is background, blue is water, dark green is parks/refuges/
forests, black lines are highways, red lines are interstates/
controlled access roads, dashed lines are railroads, yellow areas are
city limits.

Here are the things that are easy to change with dbfawk controlled
shapefiles:

- background color (OK, you don't do that with a dbfawk)

- color and width of lines

- style of lines (solid or dashed)

- display level of particular features (this more or less adjusts the
level of detail)

- color and pattern for filled polygons

- display level for labels (can be different that display level for
the feature they describe)

- don't display things you want to leave out entirely

-Jason
kg4wsv