[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Thu Aug 9 14:22:25 EDT 2007

> Which google maps?  Colored roads based on road type or colored based on
traffic?

Colored roads based on road type, not interested in traffic.

>One thing that you'll probably find missing is a selection of linestyles -
xastir's is pretty limited.  IIRC you've got solid lines and dashed lines.
 If you're >looking for a wide gray line with black borders, you're out of
luck.

What is the limitation on this? Is it something that can't be coded in?
Hard/complex? Just curious....

> Coloring and styling roads by type is possible with dbfawk, but you won't
get the clear, crisp outlines ala Google.

Is that because of the above limitation?

I'm willing to play, but in the end I want the best looking maps possible
that are easy to read etc. The online tiger maps are ok, but I still find
them a little difficult on the eyes.

Am I moving in the right direction or are there better alternatives to what
I am trying to accomplish? I also see that Xastir has limited support for
Mapinfo maps, which I have a complete set of, but don't know anything about
unfortunately :(

73's
Stephen
K1LNX