[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Aug 9 13:59:06 EDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:

>  but still leaves
> me with one question, how to make it look better? I know I can
> adjust the
> fonts, background color etc, but what I am really after is to have
> a color
> scheme ala Google maps with colored roads etc.
>
> Easy? Hard? Impossible? Nuts?

That's for you to decide after you try it. (:

The shapefiles you downloaded are a bit complex, but there are
already dbfawks in the xastir distribution to deal with them (in /usr/
local/share/xastir/config, I think).  You can modify those dbfawks to
try and achieve the look you want.

One thing that you'll probably find missing is a selection of
linestyles - xastir's is pretty limited.  IIRC you've got solid lines
and dashed lines.  If you're looking for a wide gray line with black
borders, you're out of luck.

-Jason
kg4wsv