[Xastir] Hop number in Xastir

Bernard Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:03:06 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Reading more of Bob's APRS documentation and I came across (yet
another) interesting thing, that being the mention of displaying the
number of hops between users.

Is there anyway to get Xastir to show the number of hops between
users on the map?

This obviously (yes/no?) changes for stations connected via APRS-IS
network, but I'd guess it still has meaning if you are contacting/in
communications with a RF sourced APRS station.

Also, PHG circles - these are not valid for an APRS-IS connected
station, right? What should be displayed? Nothing I presume. It
should be shown by the symbol you choose?

Finally, (sorry lots of questions) - is it "better" for the APRS
network to have more stations connected via APRS-IS than via RF? I
guess its better to have more of the same stations connected than
lots of different (mobile, stationary, etc...).

Thanks in advance.

bernard
Bernard Tyers
bernard.tyers at gmail.com