[Xastir] IGating

Matt Werner kb0kqa at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:19:06 EDT 2007

Hi Alex -

I don't think so.  Once a server receives the packet it will not send
on the same packet if it hears it come in from a different igate or
server.  Imagine this:

One server (we'll call it "A") has 5 different igates connected to it
from one area and another server (we'll call it "B") has 5 more igates
connected.  This would represent a simplified (and probably
exaggerated) version of what we have now.

The way it works now, A hears a packet from K1ABC.  It's not seen this
packet before so it sends it to B.  Shortly afterwards, A hears the
packet from another igate.  It's a duplicate so it's discarded.
Shortly afterwards, B hears the same packet from one of the igates
connected to it.  It's also an duplicate so it's dropped.  And so on.
The totals: The packet is sent from A to B one time and from B to A
zero times.  In the event that A and B hear it at the same time it
could be sent from B to A once as well, but no more.

If we send *all* packets then the packet would be sent from A to B
five times and from B to A five times.  This is a 5-fold increase in
traffic in the A to B direction and at least that in the B to A
direction.

Now imagine this on a larger scale.  Thousands of stations.  30+?
Servers.  Hundreds of igates.

This is starting to get off-topic for the list - if you'd like to
continue the conversation please feel free to email me direct.