[Xastir] IGating

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 21:10:05 EDT 2007

Earl Needham wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 8/25/2007, James Ewen wrote:
>> It's really hard to make good comments on a system that you can only
>> observe via the APRS-IS, without any knowledge of the local terrain.
>
>         Wow, it's GREAT to see somebody finally acknowledge this!
> I've been trying to tell people that for maybe 10 years over on the
> APRSSIG and they just don't seem to get it.
>
>         7 3
>         Earl
>
> KD5XB -- Earl Needham
> Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs
> Quoting from the Coast Guard: ZUT
Yea Earl, but you guys are pretty flat over in that part of the alley.
Here, we have the plateau to the west, the mountains on the east and the
broad canyon or valley in between. In El Paso, their city is divided
pretty much down the middle by Mt. Franklin. Las Cruces and White Sands
Missile Range is divided by the Organ Mountains, and Albuquerque and
their surrounding area all have mountains to contend with. Then we have
all of us wonderful ham guys wanting their station to be seen, not to
mention the passer-by's and the occasional balloon.    :-)

So, the low down is that more IGates are needed in populated places, and
less digi's?

Steve