[Xastir] IGating

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 20:45:43 EDT 2007

James Ewen wrote:
> The best thing anyone can do for their local RF network is user
> education. Teach people that long paths are not required. Get them to
> reduce thier impact on the local network, and more people will be able
> to play, as well as the network reliability will increase. It's a
> tough job, but it needs to be done everywhere.
>
> James
> VE6SR
You are correct on all of your statements, especially on the above. I
have seen some mobiles that are set up for 5 repeats, or hops as I call
them. One that I know of is using a 30 watt transmitter sending the
signal from a tinytrack. My wife's car uses a TT3, with a Kenwood set at
1 to 2 watts out. She usually gets clobbered by the high power stuff. I
run 5 watts, but only because the radio I am using won't go lower than
that. I still get covered up in town.

Steve/WM5Z