[Xastir] IGating

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 25 13:55:18 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Greg Eigsti <greg at eigsti.com> wrote:

> The tool mentioned by VE7MKF is a better iGate 'test' than Findu.
> However if you know you are iGating someone (or think you are) you
> can look them up in findu and see their raw data.  Just change the
> callsign to the one that you are interested in...

Greg,

You have made an incorrect supposition above. The information seen at
DB0ANF and at findu.com are the same. You will not find more
information about who has i-gated a station via findu than you will at
DB0ANF. The both use the same source of packets.

The APRS-IS filters duplicate packets as they are received. Only the
first packet received by the APRS-IS is kept. Any duplicates of that
same packet are dropped.

If you look at raw data for a station via any internet server, you
will only see one copy of the packet, unless for some reason the
packet has been mangled somewhere along the way.

We run 3 or 4 i-gate stations in Edmonton. My station has a good
vantage point, and usually is the first to gate to the internet. When
my Windows based station locks up, then you will see stations gated by
VE6AEW. When his station is turned off, you might see stations gated
by VE6PS.

When all the stations are up and running, only the first station to
gate to the internet is the one seen.

High altitude balloon launches show this phenomenon quite well. Our
SABLE-III balloon launch on Aug 11 under the call VA6TNY-11. If you
look at the historical track of that callsign at http://aprs.he.fi,
you will see that it was gated by my station, VE6DJJ in Calgary,
VE6BLK on Grande Prairie, VE6CNO in Crowsnest Pass, and even VE7EOK,
and VE7CHW in Kamloop, BC.

Kamloops is 600 km away. The balloon was heard by many more stations
that act as i-gates, but only the first to gate to the internet is
recorded by the APRS-IS.

Go to file and click the button beside IGate logging.

Enable IGate logging
Logs all data forwarded in both directions, and rejected forwards with reasons
for rejection. Includes NWS messages forwarded to RF.

Your log file will then show you if you are or are not gating to the internet.

James
VE6SRV