[Xastir] Grabbing Google Maps - projection problem

Andreas Weller weller at andreas-weller.de
Fri Aug 31 14:58:58 EDT 2007

Hi!
I used the attached Perl script for grabbing maps from
http://maps.google.com
The tiles are automatically stitched together to one big file -> now
I've got a 12000x12000 px PNG file :-)

But there's one unanswered question: how to create a matching .GEO file
for it? Google Maps seems to use mercator projection - for working
correctly I think I have to specify the projection in the .GEO file or
simply stretch the file to match equirectangular projection, also called
the equidistant cylindrical projection.

Any hint how to do it? I think gdalwarp might do it but I don't know the
correct parmeters...

Thank you!

Regards,
  Andreas Weller, DF1PAW