[Xastir] Xastir with KPC 3+ TNC no xmit

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 2 02:07:37 EST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Bernard Michael Tyers wrote:

> I have a Kenwood TM 251e and a KPC3 + on my desk here for the past few
> months.

> I have suggested using Xastir as a digi (low usage, but usage
> nonetheless) here in Dublin, as before this UIView was running.

I'd suggest that Xastir may not be the right tool for the job here.
If you're after a digi only, you can set up that particular TNC as a
fill-in digi, as a WIDEn-N digi, or if you really think you need a
PC hooked to it to give it more capability, you can run DigiNED on
it either under DOS or Linux.

> The main reason the guy running wanted to change from UIView was there
> was up-to 24 hours lag in UIView processing the packets. It was nice
> being able to track yourself as you travelled around. :)
>
> So, as an interim measure before I try and get JavAprsRvr running, I
> suggested using Xastir..its waay better.

Ok, sounds like you're after an igate, not a digi, or perhaps both.

I saw in later messages that you were trying to use a Serial TNC
interface in Xastir with the TNC set in KISS mode.  You then changed
to serial command mode in the TNC.

I'd suggest that if you really need an igate there and want to run
Xastir for it, switch back to KISS mode in the TNC and change to
either a Serial KISS TNC interface in Xastir, or an AX.25 kernel
interface in Xastir and Linux.  I find that KISS mode in a TNC is
much more reliable long-term than trying to use a TNC in
command-mode.

Certainly other options for igating are aprsd and Javaaprssvr.
DigiNED if you want just a digipeater.

As for digipeating, Xastir will only do this with a KISS TNC, either
using the Serial KISS TNC interface or the AX.25 kernel interface.
Even with this setup Xastir only functions as a fill-in digipeater.
If you want full-blown digipeater -and- igate capabilities you
should be able to run BOTH Xastir and DigiNED off the same interface
as long as you're using the TNC in KISS mode and have set up an
AX.25 kernel interface in Linux.