[Xastir] d7 receive problem

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:00:06 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 1:04 PM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, James Jolin wrote:
>
> > Well this is that happened.  I did install 10.0 and decided to upgrade
> > to 10.1. Neither 10.1, 10.2 or 10.3 (OpenSuSe) would install....they
> > stopped at the pcmcia part.  So I went on the suse forum and someone
> > told me that was a problem with Dell laptops...no advice on how to fix
> > it.  I know this is off topic, but I sure would still like to put suse
> > on the laptop.
>
> Roger.  I have 10.0 installed on a Dell Latitude CPx that has PCMCIA
> slots.  Sounds like you did the same thing.  I haven't upgraded it
> yet to 10.3, nor my desktop at work, but my desktop at home is
> running 10.3.  Sounds like I won't be able to help you much on the
> upgrade.
>
> Particular versions of particular distributions have problems with
> some hardware sometimes.  Either you figure out a fix, find a fix
> somewhere else, or change versions/distributions.  Had to do that
> before.  It sucks, but at least you can _usually_ find a way around
> it.

I recently installed openSUSE 10.3 on a Dell D620 laptop after trying
Kubuntu 7.10 first.  This is the laptop I use at work, so it has to be
stable, and it was not stable enough on 7.10.  In all fairness to Ubuntu, I
believe if I had switched from the 64 bit version to the 32 bit version, I
would have solved most of the problems.  OpenSUSE 10.3 (32 bit version)
solved all of my issues - will not bore everyone with them here.

My only suggestion is to install Ubuntu 7.04 instead of 7.10 under the
(hopefully not too brash) assumption that if 7.10 works fine on your laptop,
so will 7.04.  Unfortunately the binary version of XASTIR available for 7.04is
1.8-something, but there is a good HowTo in the Xastir Wiki for installing
Xastir from source.  Xastir 1.9x from source has always worked fine for me
in Kubuntu 7.04.  Based on other messages I saw on this list, it appears
that Ubuntu 7.10 has switched to Lesstif while 7.04 and earlier use
OpenMotif, and I believe Xastir does not always get along with Lesstif.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX