[Xastir] Xastir and serial port issues

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 3 21:38:34 EST 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> Many thanx, Gerry....  Minicom shows "stuff" coming through at 4800
> baud..... The guy that lent the KAM to me said that it was header info.
> Do you think that it should be ASCII?  I get nothing at 2400 or 9600 baud.

It could be command-mode ASCII or KISS packets.  KISS packets will
cause all kinds of screen stuff to happen in Minicom.  Regular
packets shouldn't (much).

> Does minicom set the parameters of the port permanently or only when
> minicom is running?

I _think_ the port should be set to the same settings if nothing
else messes with the port in the meantime.  GPSMan's setup should
allow you to select baud rate, serial port, and the rest of the
usual parameters.

> Also, running GPSMan allows setting a number of parameters, but not the
> interface speed or configuration.   Does XASTIR need to have an
> interface selected to communicate with the Rinos and if so, which one?

No.  Xastir and the GPSMan stuff are separate as far as that goes.
Xastir calls GPSMan periodically to have it download the info from
an attached RINO.  Somewhere in there is a poll to the other RINO's,
and any of them that have "APRS" as the first part of the designator
should respond.

One of the main things to keep in mind is that you shouldn't have a
serial port open from Xastir to that port while you're trying to do
the RINO polling on the same port.