[Xastir] Xastir and serial port issues

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Dec 4 10:24:21 EST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007 7:51 AM, Jim Tolbert <RiverRidge at centurytel.net> wrote:
>> I am assuming that Minicom sets the serial port parameters and leaves
>> them set.  Does that seem reasonable?
>
> Nope.  Assume that as soon as minicom (or any other app) lets go of
> the serial port, the parameters go into a completely unusable state.
> That assumption will save you trouble in the long run, even if it
> isn't always correct. (:

  Minicom has an option 'Q' which will quit without resetting either the
'modem' or the serial port.  I've used minicom to open and initialize a
serial port, test the device on the other end, then after exiting without
reset ('Q'), sent bulk data to the device with `cat <filename> /dev/ttyS0`

Conversely, minicom has a command-line option '-o' which will bypass modem
initialization on startup, but it still initializes the serial port.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin