[Xastir] Gating WX from IP to RF - THE SOLUTION

Mike Long (N3QD) n3qd06 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:38:06 EST 2007

Hello Group,

	Thanks for all your inputs on this one.  I have been playing since
my last message, and I found a permanent solution.  I changed my
station call to IGATE.  I added my callsign and a short description
to the comment, and changed the beacon interval to 10 minutes to stay
legal.  I have a ~/.xastir/data/nws-stations.txt file with only my
callsign (N3QD) in it, which is also my CWOP ID.  WView sends WX data
from my Vantage Pro to the CWOP network every ten minutes, and I
receive that from the APRS-IS.  Now XASTIR transmits my IGATE Status
(callsign in the comment) every ten minutes, and my WX data when
received from the INET, also every ten minutes.

	So, for anyone else looking for a way of getting your Vantage Pro on
RF via XASTIR, and don't want to take the time to learn Meteo, here's
your solution.

	In the future, I would like to play with getting WView to transmit
CWOP data over my LAN and maybe figure out a way for XASTIR to pick
it up from there.  That way, if I lose internet connectivity, WX
still gets transmitted to RF.  But that's later down the road.  My
next big project will be getting all this on my redesigned website.

73,
Mike (N3QD)