[Xastir] Re: No communication between Garmin Rino and GPSMan

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 5 00:54:05 EST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> So I have collected 129 packets from the RINO.... went out for a walk
> with the Rino ....  GPSMan comes up ever so often ( probably the once
> per minute in the Timing menu)....
>
> But nothing is plotted on the screen.  I have shapefile maps that I can
> see, but no track of the Rino.

Do you have objects turned on in the Station->Filter Data menu?

See any objects listed in the View->Own Objects & Items dialog?

> By the way.... what does chmod 777 portname actually do?

That's Octal, so you're setting every bit for 9 bits.  It sets
rwxrwxrwx on the device, which means anybody can read it or write
it.  666 would have worked as well, which would have been rw-rw-rw-

Do an "ls -l <portname>" and you'll see the bits that you set.