[Xastir] dbfawk & fills

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Tue Dec 18 00:12:57 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 22:20, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 10:14:18PM -0500, we recorded a collision
> of the <n1mie at mac.com> flavor, containing:
>> How come I can't get fills to work on my shapefiles? I recently
>> downloaded the latest and greatest tigerline shape files (the ones
>> named New_London_County.* for example) from ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/
>> pub/TIGER_2006/.
>
> I presume you mean the "TIGER_2006_SE" directory, which is really
> the latest and greatest.  The ones in TIGER2006 only contain
> polyline data, and aren't named by county, but by FIPS number.
>
>> I've got them working and I've tweaked the dbfawk the way I want
>> it pretty well. But I have a number of questions/issues.
>
> The zip files contain both polyline and polygon shapefiles.  They
> contain different features, and are rendered using different dbfawk
> files.  The ones in the Polylines directory are roads and such, the
> ones in the Polygons directory are the ones that could be filled.
> The polylines use tgr2shp.dbfawk and the polygons use
> tgr2shppoly.dbfawk.
>
> Did you install both?

I didn't before. I re-downloaded the whole kit and kaboodle. I
installed them all into a Tiger_SE directory. In that directory are
directories for each state with it's polylines and polygons
directories. I restared Xastir and immediately re-indexed all maps.
I've fiddled with things and still can't get filled polygons. I
recompiled Xastir to the latest CVS to get the recently updated
dbfawk files. That still didn't help (after which I went back to my
tgr2shp.dbfawk since I don't like the other setup much. Everything
works fine except that with the polygons not filled I can't get the
water to look like water, it looks like rivers shaped like lakes and
etc. Particularly annoying since I live near very large bodies of
water (Atlantic Ocean, etc). I have not edited tgr2shppoly.dbfawk or
tgr2shppoly_2006.dbfawk. I've tried changing the auto to yes on the
fills. I've tried mapping just polygons to ensure they're not
covered. no dice on any attempt.

-- Chip