[Xastir] GPS Data with an IC-2820H

Nick nwsnowboarder at verizon.net
Sat Dec 29 20:35:30 EST 2007

I finally got the UT-123 digital/GPS upgrade for my Icom 2820H rig.

I am using the OPC-1529R data cable with Data turned on.  I have several
GPS related programs and on each one of them, I am able to use the
NMEA0183 GPS data from the radio with no problem, with one exception,
Xastir.  In the config file I set up a new GPS config as follows:

       /dev/cu.usbserial with a baud rate of 4800.  This is the same
configuration as on everyone of my other GPS programs.

       I also tried /dev/cu.usbserial-USA19H1d1P1.1   which is the
Keyspan serial port name.

According to ICOM the data port on the radio is fixed at 9600 baud, I
originally tried that on all my GPS programs and none of them saw the
NMEA data.  Once I changed  the settings to 4800 in the programs, the
data stream showed up.

I have tried setting the radio to both GPS and GPS-A with similar results.

I have tried different USB ports.

I am just toying with some of the capabilities of the radio.  There is
some discussion on the Icom forums to have the Data out of the radio, go
into a TNC, then back in the Analog side of the radio for APRS. Seems
feasible.  John at Coastal Chipworks has a board adapter that also
incorporates DGPS just for this, to go in his TNC-X.  My feelings are
the radio is far too expensive to use APRS w/o running through a laptop
and get the benefits of  a program like Xastir.

I would appreiate anyones thought.

Cheers and 73,

Nick
KC7RGL