[Xastir] Bluetooth connection to D700!

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sat Feb 3 17:17:30 EST 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> This is by no means an inexpensive alternative to a USB<->Serial
> dongle,

No kidding.  $60 per serial connection, plus one for your laptop if
it isn't built in.

What I can't figure out is why a bluetooth adapter for the computer
can be had for $7, but the RS232 end costs $60.  I know economies of
scale are involved, but come on!

If I get my serial mux thing worked out, I can put a single bluetooth/
232 module in there and eliminate the cable to the laptop, anyway.
Maybe that's my incentive to get moving on that project.

> The nifty thing about this is that if you have an application for
> which the
> BlueLync's signal levels aren't good enough, you could always throw
> together
> a quick adapter using a MAX232 IC to get true RS232 signal levels.

I've got a Tracker2 beta unit, and I fried two of the 2n7000
transistors (same as used on the BlueLync serial) with no effort and
in a very short time, and I'd advise going the MAX232 route if you
need for it to be reliable.  I've retrofitted one to my Tracker2.

On the subject of D700 serial connections, I put a DB9-RJ45 adapter
on my radio and leave it on all the time.  Not only is this an easy
way to get around the gender issue (Kenwood used the wrong gender on
the radio), but it's easy to grab a CAT5 cable of the appropriate
length and click it in place, without fumbling around under the back
seat trying to find the screws to secure the DB9.

-Jason
kg4wsv