[Xastir] Maps and ImageMagick

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 6 09:10:58 EST 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Norm, VK3XCI wrote:

> The solution to inf2geo.pl not running was the missing "identify"
> routine/program (from ImageMagick)
>
> I downloaded and installed said ImageMagic and now all is well!
>
> the question is... did I need the whole package, or could the the
> routine have been included at compile time... ie compiled in? I don't
> have a great understanding of the compile process.

As far as the inf2geo.pl script, it's a Perl5 script and so gets
compiled at the time you run it.  It uses external executables like
"identify" to get some of it's work done, and there's no easy way to
pre-compile that into the script.

I'll look into having the script check for both the ImageMagick and
the GraphicsMagick binaries before dying, and if neither found,
output a proper error message that tells you to install one or the
other packages.

> Both Xastir and ImageMagick came as binaries from the Ubuntu
> repositories, maybe I should have compiled it myself?

Many people compile Xastir from sources, but many install
ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick from packages, as well as most of the
other libraries that Xastir needs, to save time/trouble.  I've done
it both ways.  It wouldn't have helped you w.r.t. the inf2geo.pl
script though.