[Xastir] Another way to get Linux and Xastir

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Tue Feb 6 11:32:22 EST 2007

My apologies if this has already been discussed but I don't recall.

I always wanted to experiment with Linux being installed on a USB pen
drive. The price of the high capacity USB pen drives have really come
down in price. Staples had a Memorex 4GB pen drive on sale this week for
about $60. So I picked one up yesterday and installed Knoppix on it from
some instructions I found at pendrivelinux.com. I tried Damn Small Linux
(that worked, but too plain), PCLinux (could not get it to set the
display correctly even after messing with it) and Knoppix. Knoppix
worked very well but still cannot get it (as of yet) to work with my
wireless Ethernet card, but it does work just fine with my wire Ethernet
card.

I enabled most of the repositories so I could find Xastir, downloaded
and installed it on the pen drive and now I have not only a
full-functioning Linux OS on a pen drive, but also Xastir running. The
whole system can fit in my pocket.

Very easy to set-up on the pen drive with the download and instructions
on pendrivelinux.com website. With this set-up, you can actually have an
entire computer running without a conventional hard drive attached.

One caveat, your computer has to be able to boot from USB and you have
to change the boot order in the bios settings. Really kind of fun, not
only from a Xastir perspective, but also from a Linux perspective.

Regards,

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com

--
"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!" -- Winston Churchill