[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 8 00:00:21 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Jeff Brower wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem on my Mac and on a Kubuntu build. Like you, it has
> > been that way for a few weeks.  Perhaps the path has changed?
>
> As I recall we do something funny for these particular maps.  I
> think we requests the .geo from findu.com, then go fetch the map.
> Something like that.  Anyway, I suspect it might be a findu.com
> issue.  I need to look at our code to see exactly what we do.

In  map_geo.c I found this:

  // A test URL that works, just to get things going.  This URL
  // requests 1:50k scale maps ("set=50").
  //xastir_snprintf(fileimg, sizeof(fileimg),
  //    "\"http://mm.aprs.net/toporama.cgi?set=50|lat=44.59333|lon=-75.72933|width=800|height=600|zoom=1\"");

It appears we try to snag the .geo file from findu.com, then add the
"imagesize" tag to the file, then we pass that .geo file off to our
normal processing which fetches the map image itself.

I'm trying to get the .geo file via wget and it's failing.  It
resolved the domain name to 64.58.207.2 but then doesn't connect
with http.  A ping to that address doesn't work either.

Steve:  Has the domain name changed or has this particular CGI
script gone by the wayside?  Perhaps we could borrow the algorithm
and code up our own .geo files for toporama?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer