[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Tom Tessier ttessier at trtdigital.ca
Thu Feb 8 10:34:07 EST 2007

http://www2.findu.com/toporama.cgi?set=50|lat=44.59333|lon=-75.72933|width=800|height=600|zoom=1
>  --07:20:11--  http://www2.findu.com/toporama.cgi?set=50
>             => `toporama.cgi?set=50'
>  Resolving www2.findu.com... 165.91.140.33
>  Connecting to www2.findu.com|165.91.140.33|:80... connected.
>  HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
>  07:20:11 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> At least it's connecting/failing very fast!  I don't have to wait
> around long to see the messages.

I stopped relying on the on-line Toporama site as an on-demand online
reference and downloaded the maps I needed to my local drive. Natural
Resources Canada makes the maps available on the basis that they expect
users to download them manually rather than as repeated downloads as online
references like a Google Map or MapQuest reference. Toporama are bitmap
scans of the maps you can buy in hardcopy, which is why they are so big. I
have found that NRCan makes changes to their server structures from time to
time, and that adds to the confusion.

-Tom de VE4TRT