[Xastir] TNC

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Sun Feb 25 23:37:10 EST 2007

Hi Ray,

From the first of 1990 until March 1994, I worked in AEA's customer support
group.

A PK-90 is a PK-87 with firmware that adds capabilities useful for business
applications.  At this time I know of no source for anything like last
edition PK-90/87 firmware.

It is possible to modify a PK-87 to work as a PK-88, but doing so involves
very serious modification of the circuit board, to allow converting to a
32kbyte RAM memory IC.  AEA had a service bulletin that told how to
accomplish this.  Again, I'm not aware of a source for that service
bulletin.

I am in Germany for a few days, so I do not have access to my support files
at home.  To put the PK-90 into KISS mode, may require the equivalent
process to putting early PK-232 TNC's into KISS, which involves 13
commands sent in sequence.  If you can locate that list on the web, you
should be able to use it to put the PK-90 into KISS moe.  If somehow your
PK-90 has firmware dated after December 1988 (I think!)  you may be able
to simply use the command "KISS ON".  If you enter that command, and do
not receive a CMD: prompt, your TNC is probably in KISS model.  If a CMD:
response is seen, you need to enter the other commands.

73, and good luck!

Bob, KD7NM