[Xastir] Re: Which distrro are you using

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 26 14:58:14 EST 2007

Tom ve7did wrote:

>I use it... but not a multiport tnc
>Perhaps the following may not be applicable for multiport
>I use Slackware
>
>Is ax25 compiled in your kernel or using modules?
>
>Do you have your /etc/ax25/axports file set up?
>
># /etc/ax25/axports
>#
># The format of this file is:
># name callsign speed paclen window description
>#
>kisstnc va7gq		9600	255	2	144.390 Mhz (1200  bps)
>

>Do you have your /etc/rc.d/rc.local set up?
>
># Add the kissattach command to configure the ax25 port
># and use a fictious ip address for the port and ensure it is out of your
>network
>/usr/sbin/kissattach /dev/ttyS2 kisstnc 192.169.100.100
># Set up the radio & tnc parameters
>/usr/sbin/kissparms -p kisstnc -t 300 -s 100 -r 25

A ptty (psuedo tty) port is first required for a multiport TNC,
according to the HOWTO. It then sets up the two KISS ports that are
configured separately, just like standard KISS ports. Applications talk
to the two psuedo KISS ports.

I don't have a multiport TNC but the docs certainly cover that
situation. Have a look at Jeff Tranter's HOWTO