[Xastir] xastir in Ubuntu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Feb 28 23:56:57 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:06:34PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> >Yes, this tiny window issue was fixed in CVS some time ago.  The package
> >maintainer might very well be waiting for a stable release before building
> >the
> >package again, and 1.8.5 is still only available in development snapshots.
>
> I was hoping that Feisty would have a recent version, without such an
> immediatly-visible bug, even if it is trivially worked around.

1.8.4 is the most recent version for which there has been a stable release.
I'm not surprised that the package maintainer doesn't maintain a package with
the CVS version or a development snapshot --- that'd be too much of a headache.

> Ubuntu is getting to be an extremely popular distribution, especially with
> first-time Linux users, and apt-get and the multiverse repositories are
> absolutely the easiest way for a novice to get xastir up and running.
> Whatever we can do to make that first impression a positive one will be
> well worth it.

I agree, but it could be a real hassle for any package maintainer to keep
a package with CVS-head or a development snapshot --- I believe the
development snapshots happen at least once a month these days.
I can easily believe that it's enough work just to keep up with stable
releases, which are much less frequent.

I don't know if the ubuntu package maintainer is on this list --- as far as
I know it isn't one of the xastir developers.