[Xastir] Problem in starting Xastir-1.8.4

Larry Shields larry at isp.com
Mon Jan 8 17:11:52 EST 2007

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Larry Shields wrote:
>

>> When starting xastir I am getting this error:
>> error loading shared libraries: libgeotiff.so cannot open shared object
>> file:
>> No such file or directory...
>>
>> Yet using "locate" libgeotiff.so it shows that I do infact do have it...
>> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1.2.3
>> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1.2
>> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1
>> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so
>>
>> As root I have tried /sbin/ldconfig, but I still have the same error
>> message when starting xastir...
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated...
>>

> Sure.  This is spelled out in the INSTALL document in a few places
> but it's easy to miss:
>
> Make sure that "/usr/local/lib" has been added to your
> /etc/ld.so.conf file _before_ running "ldconfig" as root, else it'll
> skip any of the libraries in that directory when it creates the
> cache file (/etc/ld.so.cache) that the loader uses to find the
> libraries when you invoke the executable.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.   APRS Client Comparisons: http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown

Hello again Curt,

Well since this was not my first time installing or upgrading xastir, I
couldn't figure out why I was having this problem...But after reading
your comment as how to fix it by reading more in the install file, did
fix my problem...I now have 1.8.4 up and running...

Many thanks Larry