[Xastir] Problem in starting Xastir-1.8.4

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 8 13:08:39 EST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Larry Shields wrote:

> When starting xastir I am getting this error:
> error loading shared libraries: libgeotiff.so cannot open shared object
> file:
> No such file or directory...
>
> Yet using "locate" libgeotiff.so it shows that I do infact do have it...
> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1.2.3
> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1.2
> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so.1
> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so
>
> As root I have tried /sbin/ldconfig, but I still have the same error
> message when starting xastir...
>
> Any help would be appreciated...

Sure.  This is spelled out in the INSTALL document in a few places
but it's easy to miss:

Make sure that "/usr/local/lib" has been added to your
/etc/ld.so.conf file _before_ running "ldconfig" as root, else it'll
skip any of the libraries in that directory when it creates the
cache file (/etc/ld.so.cache) that the loader uses to find the
libraries when you invoke the executable.