[Xastir] Temperature sensor shields for wx stations

Bennett, Bruce bbennett at Spang.com
Thu Jan 18 12:59:15 EST 2007

For my weather stations, I've found that mounting the temperature sensor
somewhat below mid way up a 2 meter or so long, vertically mounted section
of 2 inch PVC pipe, painted silver or foiled - except for the top 5 inches.
Darken the top 5-inch section to create some small thermal siphon effects.
Oh - and keep the pipe ends well clear (1 meter) of building roof, ground,
other obstructions. This method is dirt cheap and seems to yield good CWOP
quality ratings... (plus observed solar fluxuations)

Doesn't keep the rain off completely, but very little actually comes that
far right straight down the center of the tube to contact the sensor.

I also acquired one of those barn turbine vents (for a dollar at a yard
sale) and intend to try it out as a shield for a thermal sensor too... :)

Bruce Bennett
BBennett at Spang.COM
(440) 352-8600 X 3350
All major advances can be directly attributed
to optimistically under estimating the amount
of work required for the task...