[Xastir] No trail

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 30 10:57:06 EST 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Rick Green wrote:

> Curt - Since the program has the defaults hard-coded into it somehow,
> rather than implement a blind 'overwrite with defaults' button, why not
> implement a 'where might I have gone wrong' button that
> displays/prints/saves a diff of the current with the defaults.  This kind
> of function would also serve as an 'incremental backup' of changes while
> one is 'experimenting'.

That's a really slick idea.  I wish I would have thought of it...

One simple way to do this would be to keep the original copy of the
xastir.cnf file around as another name, then do a diff on it,
perhaps filtering the output a bit as well.  This could of course
all be done from within the program itself.

The only place the defaults are at is in xa_config.c, where we're
trying to read in the values from the config file...  If the values
are out-of-whack or missing we supply new ones at that point.  In
other words it'd be a bit of work for the program to generate the
diff on-the-spot unless it did something goofy like try to read in a
non-existent file, then save it (thereby creating a default file),
then do a diff between the two files.  Goofy, but do-able.