[Xastir] -Lrtree -ltree ... may have found where...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jul 1 12:10:03 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 07:35:33AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> Apparently, Fedora 7 on my system loaded parts of GRASS. The ldd search of 1.9.1 that worked showed libgrass_rtree.so.6.2 being linked in. Changing the variable names, I believe that what was done,  that was done in the CVS , avoided the linker bringing in libgrass_rtree because it could not find the symbols. What I find interesting is that nm can't find any labels in libgrass_rtree. Maybe I did not pick the right option. But that can be for another time. Have to tackle the outside honeydo list.....

AH HAH!  I bet your GDAL was built with GRASS support, and that's how it's
getting in.  Try doing an ldd on the GDAL shared library, and you'll probably
find that that is where the libgrass_rtree is being dragged in.  Since you're
not explicitly linking against grass libraries, and the only other GIS-related
library that you're using is GDAL, that is the most likely suspect.

GDAL should almost never need to be built with GRASS support, because that
results in a circular dependency (GRASS needs GDAL to build, GDAL needs
GRASS to read GRASS data), so there's a "GRASS plugin" that can be used
to add GRASS support to GDAL without rebuilding it.  That's the preferred
method.  The GDAL package you installed was probably not built according to
that preferred method.

The easiest fix, then, is to build GDAL from source instead of using a package.

No, that's not true.  The easiest fix is to de-install GDAL unless you're using
it for some other GIS package, and then rebuild xastir without it --- Xastir
barely uses GDAL except for some very specific vector data types, and unless
you're using those you need not even bother with GDAL support in xastir.

If you *are* using GDAL for some other GIS-related package, you could always
rebuild xastir with "--without-gdal" in the configure options, too.