[Xastir] Portable Digipeater Antenna?

Richard Polivka, N6NKO r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 1 19:13:07 EDT 2007

The J-Antenna is an end-fed 1/2 wave with a 1/4 wave matching section.
The bottom is tied together forming a "hairpin". The coax is moved up
from the bottom to reach the 50 ohm point and secured. The feedpoint is
actually balanced so there can be some issues feeding the antenna with
coax, which is by design is unbalanced. As a matter of convention, the
shield is tied to the short piece and the center conductor is tied to
the long side.

The matching section does not do much radiating because the signals are
cancelled out, leaving the 1/2 wave section in the clear to do the
radiating as vertical dipole. This antenna does have some gain
associated with it over a ground plane antenna and it is a great way to
start an argument. The nice thing about the J is that you do not need a
ground or ground plane to work against.