[Xastir] libgdal is the master here...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jul 1 23:43:11 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 04:44:46PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> Tom:
>
> ldd spews for libgdal.so:  libgrass_rtree is linked in.

No surprise.  Hadda have been where it was coming from.

> ldd spews fro libgrass_rtree: nothing except for libm and libc.
>
> F7 repo uses gdal-1.4.1, grass-libs-6.2.1
>
> I will have to concur that gdal was built full up but I do not see a circular reference in place. GRASS will stand free, but GDAL needs GRASS (there is a bad joke in there somewhere).

Actually, no.  GRASS absolutely requires GDAL, and will not build without
it --- unless it's quite an old version of GRASS for which GDAL was merely
optional.

This is a bit of an annoyance among GRASSheads, and a frequent source of
questions on the GRASS mailing list.  You can't build GDAL with GRASS
support until you've built GRASS, but can't build GRASS without GDAL.  So
unless you use the plugin (and the documentation that tells you to do it
is hidden outside of both GDAL and GRASS source trees), you need to build
and install GDAL without GRASS support, then build and install GRASS, then
rebuild GDAL with GRASS support and reinstall it.

With the plugin, you build GDAL without GRASS support, then build GRASS,
then build the plugin.  And when you upgrade either GDAL or GRASS you don't
need to do anything to the plugin, coz all it does is provide a bridge between
the two.

> So, either don't use repo GDAL/GRASS and roll your own or bring in both and exclude -Lrtree at the config level via a check. Ouch!

I will try to take a look at the configure script tonight to see if I can slam
in a check for the RTree functions.  I can't really test it out, coz I have
no GDAL built anywhere that uses GRASS libraries like the one in the
F7 repository does.