[Xastir] Xastir responding to ?APRSS

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 00:55:33 EDT 2007

--- Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 04:35:25PM -0700, we
> recorded a bogon-computron collision of the
> <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> > The question was, does Xastir respond to a
> directed
> > station query ?APRSS and, if so, where is the
> reply
> > programmed in the config menus?
>
> No.  Xastir does not respond to APRSS.  If you look
> in db.c, you will see
> this block of code:
>
> // NOT IMPLEMENTED YET
>     // Check for proper usage of the APRSS query
>     if (!ok && strncmp(message,"APRSS",5)==0) {
>         ok = 1;
>     }
>
> I guess nobody who cared about that directed query
> ever had time to implement
> it.  The implementation would go right before the
> "ok = 1" line.  Thing is
> that Xastir doesn't currently support a station
> status, so you'd also have
> to implement that before being able to return it
> with a query response.
>
> At this time, there's only a few queries that Xastir
> responds to.  Looking
> at db.c, I see these are:
>   ?VER   (return software version)
>   ?APRSD (return list of stations heard direct)
>   ?APRSP (force a position report)
>   ?APRST or ?PING   (return a trace)

Interesting.  I might try to work on a backend for it
in my copious free time next week (sort of to prove
the point to a UI-View user than Xastir works
especially with open code) but I'm miserable at GUI
work so I wouldn't know where to begin for making the
front-end interfaces to add dialog boxes for the
status text, etc.  A shorter term solution I may be
able to whip up would be something that connects to
the local server, listens for an APRSS packet coming
in, and then ships one out.  If Xastir receives a
packet from its local server port, will it transmit it
on all transmit enabled interfaces assuming
authentication has been done?

All that the status text is being used for in this
case is to send out a note about Winlink at regular
intervals.  I suggested two workarounds being the
comment text for the station or a separate object.

> > I've got a separate question, too:
> >
> > In File -> Configure -> Defaults, there's a text
> box
> > to the right of "Pop up new bulletins" without a
> > label.  Currently it has "XASTIR" in it.  What is
> it?
> > (ver 1.9.0)
>
> I never really looked at that very carefully, but it
> really is a confusing
> layout.  The thing in the line edit box is meant to
> be the alternate net
> name, and is meant to go with the check box directly
> above it, "Activate
> Alternate Net?"
>
> From the help file (Help->Help Index->Configure
> Default Operation):
>
>   You can also select "Activate alternate net?" and
> choose an altnet call from
>   this dialog. Altnet allows you to have a private
> APRS(tm) network among the
>   stations that also have altnet configured, and
> have the same altnet call
>   entered.

Ah, I wondered what that was.  It also seems that
there's a button or check box under it that's hidden.
I can barely see the edge of it under the text box.