[Xastir] Xastir's in ADEPT

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Jul 3 23:04:32 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Earl Needham via Kubuntu wrote:

> 	Gee, I just found Xastir listed in the Adept package manager.  I could have
> installed with Adept and not worried about compiling and everything else!

  Yes, but...

   The .deb version in the Ubuntu repository is from last november
sometime.  They apparently grabbed a snapshot at an inopportune moment,
because that version installs so easily on (K)ubuntu, but when you launch
it, it opens in a window so tiny you can't see a single menu, and even
after you expand it, it just gives you a blank grey window with an X in
the middle.  Not a clue where to start configuring so that you get a
reasonable display.
   That version lived in CVS only a few days, as I remember.  Soon after
that, Curt added two fantastic 'newbie' features:
   1) It's now distributed with a simple vector world map, so you don't
face a blank screen.
   2) If no configuration file is found, it automatically opens the
Configure/Station dialog, so it immediately prompts for the essential
configuration data: callsign and station location.

   It'd be cool if the 'no configuration file found' state on launch
initiated a 'tour' of xastir, which in addition to configure/station, it
then took you to 'add interface' and finally an invitation to explore the
map chooser as it took you to the main display of the world map, with
stations already beginning to appear on it...

   I wish I could figure out how I could build a .deb, and who and when to
send it so that each new Ubuntu release has the latest and greatest stable
version.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin