[Xastir] openSUSE C header location

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 00:06:34 EDT 2007

Hello,

Being a newbie to Linux and only having played with Mandriva a couple
of years ago and then (K)ubuntu more recently, I decided to create a
virtual machine for openSUSE and have a look around.  The openSUSE
installation went fine, and then I went on to installing VMware Tools.
 First there was no gcc, and I got that taken care of, and then I got
the message below:
Barney:/home/lee/VMware/vmware-tools-distrib/bin # ./vmware-config-tools.pl

Stopping VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
   Guest operating system daemon:                                      done
Trying to find a suitable vmhgfs module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmhgfs modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmhgfs module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.
The plan is to install XASTIR, but I wanted to get VMware tools
installed first so that I can adjust the screen resolution of the VM.
Can anyone shed some light on the location of the C headers that this
thing is looking for?  I don't remember this issue in Kubuntu, but
it's been a while.

Looking ahead to the XASTIR installation, I didn't see a HowTo for
openSUSE.  Is there anything special I should look out for when trying
CVS?

Thanks,
Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX