[Xastir] openSUSE C header location

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jul 4 00:21:35 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 11:06:34PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>  Hello,
[...]
>  The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

>  The plan is to install XASTIR, but I wanted to get VMware tools
>  installed first so that I can adjust the screen resolution of the VM.
>  Can anyone shed some light on the location of the C headers that this
>  thing is looking for?  I don't remember this issue in Kubuntu, but
>  it's been a while.

You probably have to install a kernel headers package in your SuSE virtual
machine before you can proceed.  I believe that on Ubuntu 7.04 that was
installed by the base system installation when I just did a clean install of
it on my daughter's machine after a hard drive failure, but I seem to recall
having to install it specially on previous Ubuntu versions on my own laptop.
Perhaps it's the same way on SuSE?  Or perhaps the kernel headers directory
is not called /usr/src/linux/include --- I know that on my Ubuntu systems
the headers directory is named after the current running kernel version
instead.

>  Looking ahead to the XASTIR installation, I didn't see a HowTo for
>  openSUSE.  Is there anything special I should look out for when trying
>  CVS?

Since that's the OS that Curt uses, I assume he'll chime in now.