[Xastir] openSUSE 10.2 CVS Success

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 12:21:36 EDT 2007

> As far as including libraries in the main distribution, we
> peridocially have "discussions" about this.  I had to fight hard to
> get Shapelib added.  Generally it's not a good idea to add libraries
> in this manner, as then we have more maintenance trying to keep up
> with their releases and updating our sources to match.  In this case
> and a few others, the benefits outweighed the downsides.

I understand. Maybe the first prerequisite could be that wget function.
Then have configure fetch and install those libraries that are needed.
Might even be useful to have configure pause for Q&A for extra
libraries? If there was, say 10 second pause for a Y/N answer, then
resume with the appropriate default? This would allow you guys to set up
the proper libraries, and give the options to install more if needed, or
not...

I think it is paramount that it be just made to work for the newbie.
FWIW, one of the best things to be added was the rudimentary map so that
the novice xastir user wasn't greeted with a blank gray screen.

Steve/WM5Z