[Xastir] openSUSE 10.2 CVS Success

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 6 12:29:30 EDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Steve Friis wrote:

> I understand. Maybe the first prerequisite could be that wget function.
> Then have configure fetch and install those libraries that are needed.
> Might even be useful to have configure pause for Q&A for extra
> libraries? If there was, say 10 second pause for a Y/N answer, then
> resume with the appropriate default? This would allow you guys to set up
> the proper libraries, and give the options to install more if needed, or
> not...

Downloading/compiling/installing libraries under Xastir's control
opens up way too many additional problems.  I'm pretty sure we don't
want to go there.

A long time back I proposed a button in Xastir to update Xastir
itself from CVS sources.  That was fought tooth and nail.  In fact,
I think I brought that idea up two or three times.  It seems
innocuous enough to me, but I'm only one voice here.  Majority (of
the developers, and sometimes users) rules.

Doing the same or similar for libraries would no doubt run into the
same opposition.  We'd be taking over duties best left to package
managers, plus cross-platform issues could be quite tricky if not
impossible.