[Xastir] openSUSE 10.2 CVS Success

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 6 17:25:21 EDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Richard Polivka wrote:

> This may take a bit of doing but I would not break the configure
> routine because of a missing library. I would crunch through the
> whole config process and then display which libraries/programs are
> missing at the end.

We attempt to do that now.  Any input you can give us as to missing
config items that cause us to exit immediately will be put to good
use.  I'd rather have it get all the way through the first time as
well, so that the user can compile a list of what libraries he/she
needs to install before the next attempt.

It seems to me there may be a few things that cause it to exit
prematurely, but I can't think of what they might be right now.
Perhaps Motif/Lesstif was one such?

Certainly there may be some missing items that we might not be able
to easily work around, like a missing compiler.  Autoconf uses a few
tools to do it's work and can't make it very far if those are
missing.

> In reference to the list, maybe that may be a way to automate the
> config for the comparison of what is missing vs. what is
> requested. So if a person requests "basic" and a library or two
> are missing, the missing libraries will be spelled out.

Right now we use the philosophy where we check for everything we
can and enable what we can, then give a summary of what we
accomplished.  As-is it's not up to the user to request a level.
Most open-source programs which use Autoconf end up with similar
operation.  So far I'd like to see us keep to that scheme as it
allows finer-grained control over what features are enabled/disabled
than fixed levels could.

Feel free to disagree as that's the only way I get fourced of my
comfort zone and begin understanding other people's viewpoints.
Otherwise I'm just always right by default.  ;-)