[Xastir] openSUSE 10.2 CVS Success

Richard Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 6 13:24:10 EDT 2007

The idea of the config chart with the various levels is a good thing and will go a long way.

This may take a bit of doing but I would not break the configure routine because of a missing library. I would crunch through the whole config process and then display which libraries/programs are missing at the end.

In reference to the list, maybe that may be a way to automate the config for the comparison of what is missing vs. what is requested. So if a person requests "basic" and a library or two are missing, the missing libraries will be spelled out.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO

"Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> wrote: On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Lee Bengston wrote:

> I don't think either Xastir or the "compiling utilities" need to be
> modified.  I'm thinking just a table in the Wiki that documents what each
> library does for Xastir would suffice.  For example, a newbie seeing a
> library named libax25 or GPSMan without knowing exactly what they do could
> easily assume that they are required given the reference to the
> AX.25protocol and a GPS.

My comments below are more about docs than about adding more
libraries internally.

Wiki's are great, I use them all the time.  However:  Our particular
Wiki seems (to me) to be a bit difficult to find, particularly if
you don't know it exists.

Also, people might get the sources from other places, or not have
fast or convenient web access, so we need to make things as easy as
possible for them.

I feel we should tweak the "configure" output to be as
understandable as possible, plus keep the docs up-to-date which are
distributed with the sources.

I don't want the Wiki to become the source for everything.  It
doesn't work for everybody.  Wiki's also get hacked periodically.