[Xastir] A success report and an inquiry

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 6 17:58:03 EDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Jason Winningham wrote:

> - create new GNIS files in the old format with new data (assuming
> that's possible)

Probably the worst option.

> - re-code so that xastir understands the new GNIS format

Better.

> - convert the GNIS files to shapefiles, and abandon the GNIS support
> built into xastir

Better yet.  IMHO

> That last one makes a certain amount of sense to me (a non-developer)
> since shapelib support has been integrated with the standard
> distribution.

Yes.  Before we had done that it wouldn't have made sense, as GNIS
was one of our native formats and Shapelib wasn't.

> I can't even remember now what the problem with the GNIS files were;
> the format changed, but did it change so that they are no longer useful?

The populations of the cities disappeared from the files, which we
used to determine which cities to show at which zoom levels.

Since Shapefiles have support for point formats, I'm good with
converting.