[Xastir] maps at aprs.tamu.edu

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:10:03 EDT 2007

Hello,

Quick question on the maps posted at ftp://aprs.tamu.edu - the following
lines are taken from the HowTo Maps portion of the Wiki:

   "Tiger/Line 2003 data converted to shapefile format is available from
ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/. Look in the "pub/TIGER_2006_SE/" directory."

   "The 2006 Second Edition data were processed by Jason Winningham and made
available on the ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/ site by Gerry Creager"

If the 2003 files are in the /pub/TIGER_2006_SE/ directory, does that mean
the 2006 2nd Edition files are in /pub/TIGER2006/  ?

Anyway, over the weekend I downloaded the Texas map package from
/pub/TIGER2006/, and I liked the improvement over the online Tiger maps with
respect to detail and being more up to date, and I especially liked the fact
that when set to a higher level than the weather radar maps, the weather in
the radar map still appears, but does not hide the Tiger map details.
Obviously the maps I downloaded are transparent and show the layers below,
which is really great.  I assume that's because they are shapefiles?  I
already liked combining the radar with the online Tiger maps, but combining
it with the downloaded maps is awesome.

Hats off to the developers - this is really good stuff.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX