[Xastir] maps at aprs.tamu.edu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 9 22:52:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 09:10:03PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>  Hello,
>
>  Quick question on the maps posted at ftp://aprs.tamu.edu - the following
>  lines are taken from the HowTo Maps portion of the Wiki:
>
>    "Tiger/Line 2003 data converted to shapefile format is available from
>  ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/. Look in the "pub/TIGER_2006_SE/" directory."

This is an editing mistake I made when updating the page to point at the new
data.  I changed the paths and other places where "2003" was, but missed
this one.

Obviously, the TIGER_2006_SE directory is the 2006 second edition stuff,
more up to date than TIGER2006.

I'll fix the wiki now.

>    "The 2006 Second Edition data were processed by Jason Winningham and made
>  available on the ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/ site by Gerry Creager"
>
>  If the 2003 files are in the /pub/TIGER_2006_SE/ directory, does that mean
>  the 2006 2nd Edition files are in /pub/TIGER2006/  ?

No, the newest information is in the TIGER_2006_SE directory.

The TIGER2006 directory contains only the linear features, and is from the
first edition.  The TIGER_2006_SE contains both linear and area features.
That's the stuff you want.  It is organized differently, though.  The person
who did the TIGER2006 files organized and labeled the file by FIPS code, and
the 2006_SE files are organized by state and county name.