[Xastir] Still struggling with connection to interent on a laptop

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 16 12:00:18 EDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> I have a laptop that I have converting to Linux primarily to run Xastir
> for tracking GPS units for SAR.  I seem to have open SUSE running, but
> have been unable to get either the wireless card or the modem responding
> to download Xastir.

Wireless cards can be a pain.  I had to read a lot to get my old
Orinoco Silver card working under OpenSuSE on my laptop.  I haven't
tried to get the modem working there, but I have direct ethernet
capability for updates, so I don't really need the modem.

Sorry I can't help directly, I'm kind'a busy at the moment and since
I have no direct experience with modems on laptops you'd be best
served by reading up on things and maybe asking questions in
Linux-specific or SuSE-specific forums.

> Since Windows is
> apparently still on this machine, can I connect /download through the
> windows side and somehow get what Linux wants?

Yes.  You can snag RPM's via FTP on the Windows side, then reboot
into Linux and access them there.  To do this you'll need your
Windows partition mounted on your Linux system.  Preferably
read-only, particularly if it's an NTFS partition.