[Xastir] AX25

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 14:19:13 EDT 2007

> > Xastir does need SUID, but not because of the serial port. Xastir needs SU
> > privileges in order to open the eoc ax.25 port.

That's a bit strange.  Is the ax25 Listen command SUID?   I know it
(Listen) works once the associated serial port is set RW for the
regular user.   Maybe Listen is doing some magic with the serial port
that a regular user program wouldn't try.

> Yes.  This is a Linux kernel driver limitation, so we can't work
> around it.  Xastir has code in it to drop to regular user privileges
> when it doesn't need the SUID root privileges though, so you're
> _relatively_ safe doing this:
>     su
>     chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir

Thanks.   I'll try that right away this evening.

Adding a pop-up warning dialog for the ax25 setup should be a good
beginner exercise in tweak the X-winders software.

Bill - WA7NWP