[Xastir] AX25

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 16 12:25:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> Xastir does need SUID, but not because of the serial port. Xastir needs SU
> privileges in order to open the eoc ax.25 port.

Yes.  This is a Linux kernel driver limitation, so we can't work
around it.  Xastir has code in it to drop to regular user privileges
when it doesn't need the SUID root privileges though, so you're
_relatively_ safe doing this:

    su
    chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir

We make no guarantees that it's safe to do the above, but to my
knowledge nobody's been hacked into via Xastir so far to gain root.