[Xastir] Success with shapefiles!!!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 19 15:38:55 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Neither ArcGIS nor ArcView stores color information in the shapefiles
> directly.
>
> As has already been pointed out: dbfawk.

Ain't maps fun?

Shapefiles are a wonderful vector file format, capable of being used
by a LOT of the GIS programs and mapping programs, so it makes a
good interchange format between them sometimes.  Their downfall is
that attributes are not stored in them, or defined by the ESRI
Shapefile spec.  For this reason things like line widths, colors,
etc. are done differently by each GIS program.  Each shapefile has
an associated database file that _can_ have attributes in it, but
the type/number/order of these attributes is entirely undefined by
the spec.

Enter dbfawk:  An awk-like language for describing which columns to
use from the DBF file and how to use them.  Dbfawk is
Xastir-specific.