[Xastir] Map rendering anomaly?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat Jul 21 11:43:42 EDT 2007

This morning, I found myself zooming out so I could identify a point on
the other side of the world.  (xastir is so much more convenient than my
old world atlas!)
   When I zoomed out, however, I found that the tigermap.geo data was quite
distorted when overlayed with the flat mercator projection of worldhi.map

See screenshot.  This is xastir 1.9.0 with tigermap.geo, overlayed with
USRadar.geo, overlayed with worldhi.map.
   At more reasonable zoom levels(~750), the tigermap.geo appears to
correspond more closely to reality.

   If anyone's interested, watch N8BJX-1 this afternoon from about 1PM
until 6PM.  I'm flying a pockettracker in a Standard Cirrus '53' on the
final task of the Region 6 North Sailplane contest out of Ionia, Michigan.
Despite the low power output, plenty of packets made it to the APRS-IS
during yesterday's task, so I changed the config a bit today to beacon a
little less often...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin